Numerous studies, dealing with different factors, have shown that credibility indicators such as video testimonials, web 2.0 style customer reviews and user ratings are extremely effective at increasing conversions. The effectiveness of testimonials is linked to their authenticity and credibility, and what better way for this is there than citing an actual verifiable source.
Testimonials as Credibility Indicators
Testimonials serve as a reputation system. Its no wonder most websites have a testimonials page now. Testimonials are meant to make e-commerce less threatening because they provide feedback from customers who have already purchased from the site in question.
- Customer Reviews
- Video Testimonials
- Audio Testimonials
- Text Testimonials
From the results of a Marketing Experiments survey about using testimonials effectively:
"We can infer that the level of performance associated with testimonials can be linked to their level of credibility and authenticity. Customer reviews are perceived as the most trustworthy, while video testimonials are a close second. Why? Because the customer is visible, adding a layer or veracity that audio alone (which scored lower) doesn’t provide.
Text format testimonials are often the easiest to acquire and display, but that’s also partly why they are less likely to be perceived as genuine by prospects. This is especially true when quotes are anonymous or initialed; lack details such as title, company, or photo; or sound contrived (even if legitimate)."
- Marketing Experiments.
In another research by Dimensional marketing an overwhelming 90 percent of respondents in the survey who recalled reading online reviews claimed that positive online reviews influenced their buying decisions, while 86 percent said their buying decisions were influenced by negative online reviews.
The beauty of testimonials backlinks as compared to other methods of building high pr backlinks such as directory backlinks is that they can be placed in homepage or core product pages of target sites radically increasing overall link popularity. Look at Woorank's testimonials as an example.
How to Get High PR Backlinks from Video and Audio TestimonialsMaking video testimonials is an ingenious SEO strategy that still goes largely unutilized. It used to be that only Money sites loved to take video testimonials people have made of me and post them everywhere, literally. Now that’s changed as competition becomes more and more intense.
Now, webmasters prefer to download the off off Youtube, and instead broadcasting them all over the internet with video sharing sites such as TubeMogul or Traffic Geyser.
I know what you are probably thinking: “where’s the backlink here?”
First of, videos are a kind of “mention” as Facebook would have it, and mentions get word out on your brand to traffic.
Sharing experiences seems to be on the up and up. When making the video, a good idea would be to share your experience with a service or product in a video.
In the Dimensional Marketing survey, for example:
“Not only are customers most frustrated with the way customer service issues are handled, 58 percent said they were more likely to share customer service experiences today than they were five years ago, with more and more people sharing experiences on social networking sites...”
- Dimensional Marketing.
For video and audio testimonials provide information that helps real customers see their own problems getting solved in a tone that lends a more personal feel than text calls-to-actions.
How to Get High PR Backlinks from Customer Reviews and User Ratings and Text TestimonialsBefore deciding whether to write a testimonial:
- Check the PageRank and authority of the site/page.
- Check if the site/page awards dofollow backlinks to testimonials.
- Check the quality of links already associated with the testimonials on the page.
Next is to express your gratitude for their service or product you used. Followed by a brief mention that you would like to write recommendations they can place on their site.
Addressing Key Customer Anxieties in Your TestimonialsIf they accept your testimonials, its probably because they will want you to:
- Alleviate customer doubts about quality of the service or product.
- Alleviate customer doubts about the reliability of their service or product.
- Address the competitiveness of their prices and the quickness and safe payment arrangement.
- Illustrate the worth of their service or product to the customer.
The trick to writing compelling text testimonials is providing a way for the website owners to use them effectively to increase conversions.
When writing testimonials:
- Authority is crucial for your testimonial and it will almost exclusively determine if your testimonial will be accepted. An expert writing a testimonial about a product in his field of expertise sticks out clearly.
- Try to be as specific as possible by giving a detailed account but remember to keep it concise.
- “The Raving Fan” and “The Cool Customer”: Check the intensity of your tone - testimonials are not grand unsubstantiated declarations. Keep them factual and helpful.
- Be honest and do not be afraid to write some negative testimonials. Website owners will actually appreciate your honesty and besides this opens a correspondence pathway for your testimonial backlinks to materialize.
After writing your testimonials ask them to put a link to your testimonials and provide your link address and other details that are naturally cited in a testimonial. Do not assume they will automatically do this, but also, do not push it.
Quick Tip: Check their website for other testimonials before you write yours so that you can make it unique.